2020 Kids Summer Food Program Begins Early
With the recent school closures, Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas has begun the Kids Summer Food Program early. Children up to 18 years of age can receive FREE sack lunches by coming to one of the locations below. All lunches will be distributed “carryout” style, respecting 6 foot social distancing.
Central – Family Support Center
Monday, Tuesday & Thursday
Overland Park – Family Support Center
Monday, Tuesday & Thursday
Osage City Library
The information below reflects our standard operation procedure; it does not apply during the COVID-19 lockdowns. Thank you.
School’s Out. Food’s Out.
Five years ago, when we launched the Kids Summer Food program, Kansas ranked last at feeding school children who depend on free or reduced price lunch over the summer months? That meant over 185,000 children residing in the state qualified for free or reduced-priced school lunches, but sadly only 7% of these kids had access to summer lunch programs.
Catholic Charities operates the Kids Summer Food Program in partnership with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Kansas Department of Education serving over 16,100 meals last year. Children, up to 18 years of age, receive FREE nutritious sack lunches during the summer months. Feeding sites are held at community places such as libraries, parks and local swimming pools. Local volunteers are instrumental to the success of the program, helping with the distribution of meals.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
- Spread the word. Write to your local newspaper about the community event in your area, be sure to include site location and time.
- Be an activity supporter. Collect books, soccer balls, chalk and other craft items, then donate them to the Kids Summer Food Program, this will ensure we have fun activities for the kids.
- Volunteer at a feeding site near you!
- Donate to keep kids happy and healthy this summer!
9720 West 87th Street
Overland Park, KS 66212
If you are a family looking for support with summer food we are here to help!
- The Kids Summer Food Program feeds children for FREE; no income requirements or registration is required!
- The Kids Summer Food Program is in partnership with the USDA and the Kansas Department of Education.
- The meal provides healthy food options for your child and is approved by the USDA.
- Each site has fun, kid-friendly activities, including games, crafts and books.
- Parents who accompany their children are also eligible to receive a free lunch.
We look forward to seeing you and your children at the Kids Summer Food Program as we enjoy the summer with activities, food and fun! No sign up necessary, or ID required. Children up to 18 years of age are welcome to eat for FREE!
For questions about Catholic Charities Kids Summer Food Program please call: 913-433-2100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Kids Summer Food Program is an equal opportunity provider.