Shalom House Meal Ministry
This ministry is almost 100% volunteer driven and we are so appreciative of the care and effort that our volunteers make to ensure our brothers are nourished. In order to generate the most positive effect on both the brothers at Shalom and the volunteers, we have established the following guidelines.
- Meals should be devised to feed 30 people.
- Please be ready to serve by 6:30. You can bring your meal already prepared or feel free to use the kitchen at Shalom House to cook/reheat the food.
- We ask that as much as possible, plan to serve family style. There are ample bowls and platters at the house. We know that there are some meals better served buffet style (pizza, taco bar, etc.) but when possible plan to serve salad, sides, dessert family style if appropriate.
- Join the brothers at the tables for dinner. Relational contact is one of the best influences on the men at Shalom. We want their spirits nourished as much as their bodies! And if you are serving a buffet style meal, please go through the line with the men rather than serve them. This helps reinforce the feeling of family (as opposed to institution).
- To support our brothers with health issues, we hope you will consider healthy options when planning your menu. To support that effort, we have created a cookbook for inspiration. The recipes are intended solely as a starting point – as idea generators, not required menus. Copies of the cookbook can be picked up at Shalom House or a download a copy of the Shalom House Cookbook Adobe PDF format).
- We do not background screen the men at Shalom House. Therefore, we ask that children under 15 not visit Shalom House and that teens 15-18 be accompanied by a parent/guardian/other adult.
- We recommend meal volunteers to not serve alone. Volunteers should remain in the kitchen/dining areas of Shalom House at all times.
- If you cannot attend your monthly day, please call to Joseph Domko, Shalom House Manager at 913-909-1039
- In order to ensure consistent communication, we ask that you provide contact information for all adults in your group who help with the meal ministry. We only use your contact information for invitations to volunteer events, training, and sending program information as appropriate.
Visit the Volunteer Interest Form to sign up
Shalom House Cookbook
We are so grateful for all of you who participate in the Shalom House Meal Ministry!
By feeding these men in need, you are not only nourishing their bodies, but by showing them kindness through the meals you provide, you are also nurturing their spirits. Thank you for your generous hearts!
We strive to provide a well-balanced nutritious meal for our brothers who reside at Shalom House. Many of these men have health issues instigated by poor food choices, and we would like the food we provide to be as healthy as possible.
We know many of you are wonderful cooks with great tried and true recipes of your own. But if you ever get recipe block, we hope this cookbook will be inspirational in preparing low-fat, balanced meals.
Thank you again for all you do.
Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas