Creating a more diverse and inclusive workforce
Education & Career Services for Refugees
Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas is a trusted organization in this community that is committed to helping resettled individuals rebuild their lives. Our Refugee Workforce program helps connect our new neighbors to resources that remove barriers to employment and provides them with the skills they need to attain economic self-sufficiency.
Refugees are permitted into the country by the U.S. government and are fully authorized for work in the U.S., typically upon arrival, if not shortly after. Refugees possess a wide variety of professional, technical and labor skills. Most of all, they are eager to work. They want to regain financial stability for their families and give back to their new community.
Services Available to Refugees
- Resume development and interview preparation and guidance
- Access to employer/employee connections
- Job readiness and English as a Second Language (ESL) courses
- Translation and interpretation services
- Transportation to job interviews and training
- Job search and employment coaching
Why Employers Work With Us
Catholic Charities has partnered with over 100 businesses in the Kansas City metro and surrounding areas over the last decade. Employers who hire refugees may qualify for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) for new hires who receive public assistance. Other benefits of partnering with us include:
- Increased workplace diversity
- Pre-screened applicant referrals with skills matched to job openings
- Assistance with onboarding processes and paperwork
- Access to interpretation services during job training and orientation
- Post-employment follow-up support and mediation, as needed
Communities We Work With
In addition to serving refugees, our Refugee Workforce program works with asylees, humanitarian parolees, Amerasians, Cuban/Haitian entrants, SIVs (Special Immigrant Visa Holders) and victims of human trafficking from various locations world-wide.
Hope Stories and Blog Posts About Our Workforce Programs
ReCONNECT, Catholic Charities’ Refugee Youth Mentoring Program, is actively seeking dedicated adults ages 18 and older to become long-term mentors for refugee students ages 15-24. The
Partner with Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas and help individuals find employment that respects their dignity and supports their families. Our Workforce Program offers Employment