- 1 bundle chin baung (roselle leaves), washed and chopped.
- 1 (8 oz) pkg. bamboo shoots, fresh or pickled and sliced
- 1 ib. shrimp peeled and deveined.
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion diced.
- 8-10 cloves of garlic diced.
- 1 green chili diced.
- 1 large tomato diced.
- 1/2 tsp. shrimp paste/ ngapi
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- Marinate shrimp in fish sauce and turmeric for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat and fry garlic, onions and chilies until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and shrimp paste and stir-fry until tomatoes break down and oil resurfaces.
- Add roselle leaves and bamboo shoots, mix thoroughly and simmer over medium heat until roselle leaves are cooked and all liquid is absorbed.
- Add marinated shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.