When you donate items in good condition, Catholic Charities helps refugee families of all faiths furnish a home after their resettlement to the Kansas City area.
The following items are needed to help refugees receiving assistance from Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas. All items can be new or gently used and help refugees start their new life in Kansas City and achieve self-sufficiency.
Furnish a House: chest of drawers, shelves, bookcases, end tables, coffee tables, kitchen table and chairs, couches, lamps
- Help Prepare Dinner: forks, knives, spoons, plates, bowls, cups, pots and pans, mixing/serving bowls, spatulas, wooden spoons, can openers, bottles
- Stock the Linen Closet: towels, sheets, blankets, pillows
- Keep a Clean House: dish soap, bathroom/kitchen cleaner, sponges, paper towels, laundry detergent, waste baskets, mops, brooms, trash bags
- Provide Toiletries: toilet paper, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, razors, feminine hygiene products
- Improve a Refugee’s Employability: gift card for clothing and shoes for interviews and work, computer
- Facilitate Language Acquisition: TV, reading materials for children, reading materials for adults, DVD players, audio Stereo, ESL school / home study materials
- Remove Transportation Barriers: bicycles w/ locks and helmets, money for a bus pass ($50 provides an unlimited one-month pass)
- Miscellaneous Items: alarm clocks, telephones, light bulbs, packages of writing paper, pens, pencils, household decorations, rugs, vacuum, microwaves, toasters, fans, space heaters, baby items, umbrellas, iron, ironing board, ac units
- Give a Gift Card: provide the opportunity for a refugee to select the items their family needs from a CVS pharmacy, Sun Fresh grocery store or Family Dollar store