While people struggle to provide the basic necessities for their families, there’s an important area that often gets overlooked – one’s health and well-being. At Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas, we strive to alleviate the barriers to accessing health care services, recognizing the important role health plays physically, mentally and financially.
We offer long-term case management, providing and coordinating health and mental health services with community partners. Assistance includes:
- Holding mini-wellness clinics in Emergency Assistance Centers (EAC) to identify health concerns and make proper referrals to partner providers committed to helping those in need.
- Assisting with health insurance enrollment.
- Educating about available health care resources.
- Communicating with providers to resolve health care debt.
- Increasing understanding about medical conditions and treatments for those diagnosed with long-term, complicated illnesses.
- Advocating on behalf of those who need or who haven’t received adequate medical care.
- Giving financial assistance for transportation to medical appointments, prescriptions, medical co-pays and medical supplies as needed.
- Providing education about good nutrition and coordinating food demonstrations with partner agencies.
- Monitoring blood pressure, blood sugar levels and nutrition of pregnant women to help keep both Mom and baby healthy.
- Educating pregnant women about nutrition, self-care, infant development, referrals for pregnancy care, child birth classes and postpartum care.
- Coordinating health care for Moms and babies through Women, Infants and Children (WIC) and other such programs.
- Hosting a dental clinic at our Wyandotte County EAC.