It’s difficult to change what you don’t know. If you’ve never been taught how to manage your income, budget your expenses, or save for emergencies, it’s not surprising that so many people are ill-equipped to make informed and effective financial decisions. Financial education is a key component for those wanting to regain economic stability. Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas offers coaching and classes to increase financial literacy, reduce debt and provide hope.
Family Financial Transformations™
Designed to help break the cycle of debt, Catholic Charities of Northeast Kansas in partnership with CommunityAmerica Credit Union Foundation offers families and individuals the Family Financial Transformations™ program. Participants work with a team of professionals who are committed to helping families reach financial self-sufficiency.
During this 12-month program, participants receive financial classroom instruction as well as individualized budget counseling and a personal financial coach.
Geared for the whole family, childcare is provided for younger children and those children eight years and older are able to participate in their own age-appropriate financial education classes.
Graduating participants also enjoy personal and educational incentives.
For more information or to enroll, please contact:
Family Financial Transformation classes are now offered at all of our Family Support Centers.
Kansas Loan Pool Project (KLPP)
Recognizing that predatory lending such as payday and title loans contributes to the hardships, Catholic Charities offers a loan refinance program in partnership with Country Club Bank and others.
The Kansas Loan Pool Project (KLPP) is designed to help eliminate high-interest title or payday loans by issuing participants a new, low-interest loan. Each participant is enrolled in a financial education series to help develop a long-term financial plan and budget. They are also assigned a Catholic Charities case manager specialist to provide ongoing monthly support.
Eligibility and program requirements include:
- Total amount of Payday or Title loans must not exceed $1,500
- Must have stable, traceable income
- Budget must reflect ability to make monthly loan payments
- Monthly case management for the duration of the loan
- Attendance of financial education courses mandatory
For additional online resources, visit: moneysmartkc.org
VITA—File Income Taxes Free
Catholic Charities is offering a FREE tax preparation service to anyone with household income of $56,000 or less. IRS-certified volunteers will prepare your tax return at our offices. Appointments ONLY.
What to bring:
- Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer identification # for each family member
- Valid picture ID
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2019
- All 1099 forms for other income, if any
- Childcare provider name, address, and tax ID number
- Any other tax related documents
- Bank account information for direct deposit
- All adults on the return need to be present to sign
- 2018 tax return (if available)
View all appointment times and locations